NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
UTAH TRANSIT AUTHORITY
RE: August 2018 Service Changes. Utah Transit Authority (UTA) is proposing several service changes to local bus service in Utah County. Three public hearings will be held at the locations listed below to discuss these proposed changes. The hearings are to gather feedback for major changes to routes 811, 821, 830, 838, 840, 841,850 and 862.
Public Hearing Locations:
Tuesday, May 15, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Provo City Library
Bullock Room 309
550 North University Avenue
Wednesday, May 16, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Spanish Fork Senior Center
167 West Center Street
Spanish Fork, Utah
Thursday, May 17, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
American Fork Senior Center
54 E. Main St.
American Fork, Utah
At the hearing, UTA will provide an opportunity for citizens, private transportation providers, public officials and interested agencies to comment on the proposed changes. To be included as part of the Public Hearing record, all comments must be postmarked or received by UTA no later than May 24, 2018.
THE FORMAT FOR THE PUBLIC HEARINGS WILL BE AS FOLLOWS:
Open House to review and discuss proposal with UTA representatives; public comment accepted anytime during the Open House.
To assure full participation at the hearing, accommodations for effective communication such as sign language interpreters, printed materials in alternative formats or a language interpreter for non-English speaking participants, must be requested at least five (5) working days prior to the date of the scheduled event. Requests for ADA accommodations should be directed to UTA’s ADA Compliance Officer at 801-287- 3536 or dial 711 to make a relay call for deaf or hearing impaired persons. To request a language interpreter, please contact the UTA Public Hearing Officer at 801-287-2288.
Written comments or email comments may be submitted to the following address: Andrea Packer, Utah Transit Authority, 669 West 200 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84101, or emailed directly to email@example.com. Phone calls and questions about the proposal may be directed to Ken Anson at 801-227-8957. All comments will become part of the public record if received by 5 p.m. on May 24, 2018.
Proposals are as follows:
Necessary changes proposed to start up new UVX system
- The Provo-Orem BRT, now called the Utah Valley Express or “UVX,” will begin operation replacing the Routes 830 and 838 fixed bus service.
- Route 821 will be realigned near the Provo Towne Center Mall to use University Avenue between East Bay Blvd. and 920 South in both directions in south Provo. The Provo Towne Centre Mall will be served by UVX.
- Routes 811/850/862 will have stop changes in Orem to connect to UVX near Orem University Place Mall.
- Route 841 will have more trips to enhance connectivity between Orem Station/UVU.
- Route 840 will be eliminated around campus (all stops covered by 841).
- Route 862 will be extended to the Orem Station and replace some Route 830 stops.
The proposed fixed bus route changes may be of interest to paratransit eligible riders. UTA is required to provide paratransit at a comparable level of service as to what is provided by the fixed route system. The public transportation guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) require UTA to provide paratransit services only within a ¾ mile service corridor on either side of a fixed bus route and around a light rail (TRAX) station. UTA Paratransit must provide services during the same days and hours of operation as these fixed route services. Areas that would no longer have fixed bus routes would no longer have direct curb-to-curb paratransit services.
If approved, changes would go into effect on August 12, 2018.
Additional information items:
- Relevant information about the proposed changes will be available at the Public Hearings, on the UTA website at rideuta.com, or may be reviewed at the UTA’s Timpanogos Business Unit at 1110 South Geneva Road, Orem, UT until May 24, 2018. If commenting via mail, comments must be postmarked or received by UTA no later than 5 p.m. on May 24, 2018 to be part of the public comment record.
Interim Executive Director